Thursday, August 27, 2009

A SECOND CHANCE TO BE A PERFECT MOM

First a few of my favorite quotes lately:
Scout: "Emme called me Cout!" Then after an altercation with Emme, after her mama told her not to hit her cousin with a Barbie. Then Scout held her Barbie straight to the sky and said: "But I WANT to hit my cousin."
Mason: "I want to marry a chinese girl so she can cook and clean for me."
Roman: "I am half Mexican." When asked which half? He says: "The bottom half."
Lila: To Natalie's tummy. "This baby is going to be the cutest little sucker."
Atticus: When told no kissing girls this year at school! He put his hand in front of his mouth and said, "I can't help it if I'm smiling."
To all the grandchildren who can't get enough of my lap, I adore you.

We have had a busy summer with birthday parties and trips. I have really enjoyed being with my family. I read once that no matter what they do or don't do, grandparents affect the emotional well-being of their grandchildren. There are some who live too far away to enjoy their grandchildren. And there are those of us who love their time with each grandchild when they can get it. I want my house to be a safe territory--like "goal" in a children's game where it is the place where you are home free. I want them to know I love their being. I think this purity of feeling-you are, therefore I love you-is a grandparent's most precious gift. I want each of them to just be happy, and to remember me as loving the "forever, for always, no matter what." Lila tells me, "I want you to live with us forever." I look at her beautiful, little face and realize that "The old cannot always remain with the young." But while I have life, I hpe to make my grandchildren feel they are the most special individuals in the world.

4 comments:

Bonnie the Boss said...

You are a great mom & grandmother! They are very lucky kids!
And funny too!

~tracy~ said...

Oh Scout...I dig her, haha. It makes perfect sense to me. :)

Skousen # 4 said...

I love you Mom and miss you.

Natalie said...

I just love that Scout. Sometimes I would like to hit someone with a Barbie. I can understand.